Thinking about adopting?
Well we think that is a GREAT idea! Check out our requirements and apply to adopt below!
To Our Prospective Adoption Applicants:
We appreciate your interest in helping a rescued Boston Terrier. Boston Terrier Rescue Team of the Carolinas is an all-volunteer organization, and our foster dogs reside in private volunteer homes throughout North Carolina. There is no facility or location where all the Boston Terriers can be visited. BTRTOC serves the state of NC, and assists in VA, SC, and GA.
We receive a tremendous number of email inquiries and applications weekly please bear with us as we respond to all of them in a timely manner.
The Adoption Application and Agreement helps us to understand your physical environment and family dynamics, thus enabling us to choose the perfect BT for your family.
The Adoption Application Process:
1. The first step of our adoption process to submit our adoption application online (at the bottom of this page). We require a $20 application fee which we will contact you about once we have received your application. This is a nonrefundable fee, so make sure you read through the requirements before you apply.
2. Once your fee is received we review your application and place a call to your veterinarian to make sure all past and current dogs have been well taken care of.
3. After your vet check we do a home visit where one of our volunteers comes to your home to meet and talk with you and your family.
4. Finally after your application has been fully processed, our Adoption Coordinator will contact you to let you know if your application has been approved. If so, we will begin talking about the dogs you are interested in. Approved adopters get to chat with foster parents about the dogs as well as set up meet and greets to meet the dog they are interested in.
Foster dogs will not be considered for adoption placement until the home visit has been conducted and approved. The entire adoption process can take two to six weeks. Home visits that are outside of NC, or in VA, SC and GA cities where no BTRTOC volunteers reside may require additional coordination and time.
Our adoption fees are as follows:
Purebred Boston Terriers
$400.00 for puppies less than 1 year
$350.00 for dogs 1 year up to 7 years
$200.00 for senior dogs of 8 years and older
Boston Terrier Mixes
$250.00 for dogs less than 1 year old
$225.00 for a dog between 1 and 7 years
$175.00 for mixes 8 years and older.
All dogs will receive a complete veterinary check-up, be micro-chipped, spayed or neutered, heartworm tested, and be current on vaccines prior to adoption.
We are dedicated to finding the perfect homes for our rescued Boston Terriers and ask for your patience in allowing us to do so. Thank you for contacting BTRTOC.
BTRTOC Board of Directors
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS/QUALIFICATIONS FOR ADOPTION:
1) You must be 25 years of age or older and currently reside in NC, SC, VA, or GA.
2) You must have identification showing your current address and one form of picture I.D if requested.
3) You must have the consent of ALL adults living in the household.
4) If renting, you must have proof of your landlord’s written consent and pay a pet deposit if one is required. We will require a copy of your lease for proof that it allows pets.
5) Your existing pets must have current vaccinations and be free from contagious illnesses. Veterinary records are sometimes required. If our dog to be adopted states “only pet”, there may not be any other pet in your household.
6) If this dog is stated to be “NO CHILDREN” this means exactly that. There may be no children in your home, or if you have visiting children this dog MUST be kept totally separate from the children. This requirement is for the safety and well being of both the Boston and the children. If you have specific questions around this stipulation, or are wondering why, ask.
7) You must be willing/able to spend the time necessary to provide training, medical treatment, proper care and cost, and companionship for the dog.
8) All animals in your home must be spayed/neutered unless there are extraordinary reasons otherwise. It is your obligation to discuss this issue with us and we will make that decision.
9) A component of our Adoption Contract requires that you maintain contact with us, provide us with information on the dog’s health or general condition if there is a change and are prepared to relinquish and return the dog to the Boston Terrier Rescue Team of the Carolinas if you are unable or unwilling to further care for the dog personally. You may NOT sell, give or in any way transfer ownership of the dog to another party without the expressed consent of the Boston Terrier Rescue Team of the Carolinas and there are expensive legal consequences in the contract for ignoring this provision that we will and have enforced. Do not take this lightly.
10) Not all Boston Terriers are recommended to children under five, if you have young children we are willing to work with you to help you find the perfect Boston Terrier for your family.
11) There is always a minimum adoption fee in each case which helps to offset veterinary costs for the dog you wish to adopt and so that we can continue to help other Boston Terriers & other dogs in need. You may add a donation if you'd like to help other dogs, too old, too sick, or otherwise "unadoptable."
12) All dogs receive any necessary medical treatment, are up to date on their shots (based on age) and are spayed or neutered prior to adoption if they are medically fit for altering. Some have pre-existing conditions and we'll tell you about that to see if you're up to taking on a Special Needs kid or one that's recovering from an ailment.
14) All dogs listed on our site and on courtesy postings are to the best of our knowledge the breed or breeds described. We rescue dogs in danger from shelters and always the breed determination is made initially by the shelter or previous owner or other source such as a veterinary office. If we do then describe a dog as a "Boston Terrier" (or other breed or mixed breed) in our rescue, it would be our best determination since we have no specific breeding knowledge or other expert knowledge of the dog's breed other than what is represented by the shelter or provided infrequently by an individual releasing a dog. Not all dogs of any breed, although they may be certified or represented as "purebreds" are of show quality. That is determined by the breeder and stock and purity of breed. Our personal knowledge of the breed is factored into our determination but by no means is it conclusive.
15) We do not consider households that utilize electronic fencing.
After we approve your application we will assess which dogs are a match for your family and discuss it with you. Please understand that some dogs may have additional requirements beyond the requirements listed above such as fenced in yards, no stairs, no young children, etc. We appreciate your patience as we work to find you the perfect furry furever friend.
If you meet these requirements please apply below!
If you have any questions please feel free to contact our adoption coordinator at:
Don't have Paypal? No worries...click here. Please note your application will not be processed until this fee is paid.